Friday, May 30, 2008

Why Is the Sky Blue?

Yesterday afternoon, Lalita and I were walking the baby around Butler. The sky was absolutely beautiful. Lalita turned to me and asked, "Isn't the sky the color of Krishna?"
I foolishly turned to her and replied, "Well, Krishna's body is the complexion of monsoon clouds. I think it's darker than the blue sky."
We continued our walk and went home. I sat down to start reading What Is The Difficulty? by Srutakirti Prabhu. I was amazed at what I read:

"October 4, 1972 ISKCON Los Angeles
One evening, while in his garden, Srila Prabhupada looked at the sky and said; "So, is the sky the color of Krishna?"
"The Krishna Book it says that Krishna is dark bluish like a thundercloud," a disciple answered.
"The sky is the color of Krishna," Srila Prabhupada explained. "It is the light from Krishna's bodily effulgence that makes the sky blue."


This made me realize my neophyte position. Srila Prabhupada revealed to me that just studying the scriptures is only one aspect, but really understanding them is much more important. We can think we know so much but really we never end receiving the knowledge handed down by the disciplic succession.

No comments: